Kids won’t eat salad? Try this one!

Welcome to the November Carnival of Natural Parenting: Kids in the Kitchen

This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama. This month our participants have shared how kids get involved in cooking and feeding. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.

Today I’m sharing my kids’ favourite salad recipe.

You will need:

3 small or 2 medium potatoesSalad ingredients

2 medium beetroots

2 tomatoes

2 Lebanese cucumbers

3-4 gherkins (optional)

Spring onion

Dill

Sunflower oil

Salt

Preparation:

1) Boil the beetroot and the potatoes

2) Dice all the ingredients except the spring onion and the dill.

3) Season to taste with salt and sunflower oil.

4) Mix.

5) Chop the spring onion and the dill in a separate bowl (to be added for adults, my kids won’t eat any kind of raw onion or herbs).

Salad

How kids can help:

1) Wash the vegetables

2) Help cutting the potatoes and the beetroot.

They are very soft once boiled and easy to cut even with a blunt knife.

3) Sprinkle the salt and add oil.

4) Mix.

Cutting the beetroot

Enjoy!

Carnival of Natural Parenting -- Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama
Visit Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama to find out how you can participate in the next Carnival of Natural Parenting!

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

11 Responses to Kids won’t eat salad? Try this one!
  1. Jamie S
    November 8, 2011 | 6:21 pm

What a fun (and colorful salad.)
    Jamie S recently posted..Prayers

2. Phoebe @ Little Tinker Tales
    November 8, 2011 | 7:09 pm

That looks delicious, I’m looking forward to trying it!
    Phoebe @ Little Tinker Tales recently posted..Cooking food to thrive rather than survive

3. Caz
    November 8, 2011 | 8:30 pm

My girls would love all those pink and reds!! Nice work – shall have to try it :)
    Caz recently posted..LIVING HEALTH:

4. Dionna @ Code Name: Mama
    November 9, 2011 | 12:53 am

It must be a cultural thing, but I am ashamed to admit that I don’t regularly use at least two of those ingredients in my kitchen. I need to broaden my own horizons!!

5. Kellie
    November 9, 2011 | 2:51 am

I bet my son would love to make this salad. He loves all things purple. :D Thanks for sharing the recipe!

6. Alicia C.
    November 9, 2011 | 3:21 am

We’re going to have to try this out! And why did I not think to cook the potatoes whole and then let my little guy cut them up? He’s just been granted knife-using privileges (butter knife) and I sometimes have a hard time finding things that are soft enough for him to cut. Next time, I’ll try cooking the veggies first!
    Alicia C. recently posted..The Very Best Classroom {#CarNatPar}

7. Jenny
    November 9, 2011 | 9:36 am

in our case, we use my daughter’s favorite fruit as dressing – mangoes! that gets her to eat salad fast – and a lot!! oh and you’re right.. asking the kids to help prepare would make them eat more too! ;)
    Jenny recently posted..My Budding Chef

8. Kelly
    November 9, 2011 | 12:55 pm

This looks really yummy! Definitely putting it on my list of recipes to try. :D Thanks for sharing!
    Kelly recently posted..A Tradition of Love

9. Carrie @ Hazardous Design
    November 9, 2011 | 1:18 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I’ll be making this for my husband who won’t eat salad :)
    Carrie @ Hazardous Design recently posted..Base Layer

10. Isil
    November 11, 2011 | 1:16 am

This looks delicious.It looks gorgeous all pink :)
    Isil recently posted..Kids Rooms {Wall Decoration Ideas}

11. Lauren @ Hobo Mama
    November 11, 2011 | 2:37 pm

That is so interesting. I have to admit I’m a little scared of beets … but I’m growing them in my winter garden, so I guess I’d better get over it! This recipe will come in handy for sure.
    Lauren @ Hobo Mama recently posted..Handling parenting differences with grace, sometimes