Are you too busy with the kids to get creative?

Here is an activity to get your creative juices flowing while keeping the kids occupied.

Get a pile of old magazines, glue, paper and scissors. Look through the pictures and cut out that speak to you. Then glue them in any order that appeals to you on a piece of paper or in your visual diary. Encourage your kids to do the same.

How to make the most of this activity

• Let your creative genius guide you. The goal is not to make a vision board or a collage on any preconceived topic. Just have fun and the theme will reveal itself. It may surprise you.
  • Start with the assumption that you won’t share your page with anyone.  I kept on worrying about how it would look on my blog and I wasn’t making any progress until I thought, ‘This is just for me, I’m not sharing it on my blog’. (Then, of course, I am.)
  • There are no rules. You can use words or just pictures. You can stick the pictures in any order, next to or on top of each other, colour your page or leave it white.
  • Use non-toxic glue. Or even better – use homemade glue. Some of it will be eaten.
  • Resist the urge to direct your children when their creations start resembling a toy catalogue. It’s not the end of the world. If you stay focused on your own project, you’ll enjoy it more plus it’s a good practice in letting your kids make their own choices.
  • Allow plenty of time. My children are still going 1 hour after I finished my creation (which gives me time to squeeze in writing a blog post).
My children's pages

Use this activity when you need a mood changer!

The day was promising to be a total write-off. I was exhausted, kids were screaming. My son told me they were only behaving the way they were because I was mean to them… he was right. By the time we were finished cutting and sticking we were all re-energised, feeling great about ourselves and more together.

My pages

I could recognise my theme. My pages spoke of regaining my child-like qualities. It had curiosity, sense of wonder, lightness, strength, adventure and fairy tales. It set the tone of the rest of my day.

When I visited Creative Every Day to link up my post, I found this wonderful post speaking of a different version of this activity: Story Cards. Head over for more insights!

Through Creative Every Day I also discovered this creative blog hop:

What creative activities do you share with your children that you enjoy as much as they do?
9 Responses to Are you too busy with the kids to get creative?
  1. Carolyn Dube
    January 30, 2012 | 11:26 pm

What a great way to turn the day around. Thanks for sharing!
    Carolyn Dube recently posted..Starting to Let Go of Perfect

2. Create With Joy
    January 30, 2012 | 11:27 pm

Thank you Tat, for joining us at Inspire Me Monday & sharing this project at Create With Joy! I have always loved cutting up old magazines and making collages – I have not done this in awhile but have SO been longing to – I think I should take this post as a sign to get out my scissors and start snipping away!

I look forward to getting to know you and I hope you’ll also join us for Wordless Wednesday & Friendship Friday!

Have a fabulous, creative week!

Ramona

3. Ann
    January 30, 2012 | 11:40 pm

What a great way to refocus everyone’s energy – children and mom – and have some creative fun in the process.

You asked what creative activities that readers share with their children…we enjoy doing embroidery, quilting, and cooking/baking together. Going on nature walks gives us a mental break from homeschooling, and often times inspiration and memories to draw upon when we are doing other work.
    Ann recently posted..Take a Stitch Tuesday – Cretan Stitch – Week 4

4. Carol
    January 31, 2012 | 2:39 am

Great suggestions ~ Wonderful activities ~namaste, carol (A Creative Harbor) linked with CED
    Carol recently posted..MAGICAL MONDAY

5. Jen R
    January 31, 2012 | 6:46 am

Love this Tat, did this myself on the weekend…refreshed my vision board :)
    Jen R recently posted..The Grateful journal…part 2

6. Paula - Buenos Aires
    January 31, 2012 | 1:28 pm

I had to lol at the “Toy catalogue” image, as my own boards tend to look like that. :D I make one for every full moon with a bunch of on line friends.
    Paula – Buenos Aires recently posted..Week 4

7. Tracey Fletcher King
    January 31, 2012 | 3:31 pm

I remember having a little one under feet and needing strategies to make time for everything… life is so much easier with a teenager, though there are times when I look back and miss that madness and mess… thanks for the memories…xx
    Tracey Fletcher King recently posted..Chaos Unleashed

8. Veronica @ Mixed Gems
    February 10, 2012 | 8:36 am

However do you keep up with all those memes and blog hops. But you really do find the most fascinating posts. I love what you share. Thanks for this activity. I’ll try it with Miss T. I’m curious to see what I find. I suspect, in advance, it will be full of a fee bits of themes. Sometimes I find it hard to hone in one one thing.
    Veronica @ Mixed Gems recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Instagram Inspirations

February 10, 2012 | 10:20 am

I don’t keep up. I write the post I was going to write anyway. Then I think if there is any meme I know of that it is suited to. Occasionally I stumble across other interesting stuff along the way (actually, most of the time). The only meme that I do religiously every week is the Grateful.

You know what I find interesting about having more than one thing going? Finding the overarching theme. Often even seemingly unrelated themes end up being pieces of the same puzzle if you dig deeper. Of course, you don’t have to look for a theme (there is a ‘no rules’ rule here). Let me know how you go!