Grateful for morning sickness

Yes, this is a pregnancy announcement.

Light through the branches

I’ve had the so-called ‘morning’ sickness every single moment, every day, every night for the last 9 weeks. I’ve been counting down to the end of the first trimester, when things are supposed to get better, but at 13.5 weeks I’ve run out of days to count. I know some women stay with the sickness throughout the entire pregnancy and it’s time to accept that I might be one of those women this time around. So I thought I’d try and make peace with the morning sickness and look for the good things it brought into my life.

Morning sickness has given me clarity about my priorities.

Self-care comes first at the moment, before even the care for my children. Otherwise a time might come when my children need me and I’m not available. Like the time I told my daughter I’d just rest for 5 minutes and take her to the park. Then I passed out for two hours leaving my 3-year-old on her own. She probably tried waking me up…

Morning sickness has highlighted just how wonderful my children are.

• They are compassionate. I wasn’t going to tell them too early about the baby, but when my son saw me sick day after day he kept on asking ‘ Are you ok?’, ‘Have you been to the doctor?’, ‘You have to go to the doctor!’. Soon I felt I had to explain myself just to put his mind at ease. And my daughter keeps on bringing me her special toy that is supposed to make everything better…
  • They are infinitely creative. I thought I’d need to use the TV to keep them occupied when I couldn’t give them much attention, but I didn’t need to turn on the TV once. They played and played and played. racing cars, trains, going on holiday, doctors, hairdressers, school, swimming…
  • They are independent… although I might have taken advantage of that too often. The other day my son declared that he didn’t want any more jobs.

Morning sickness has freed me of guilt.

We do the best we can most of the time and we still feel guilty. Can we have done more? Can we have done better? When I feel the way I do now it’s clear that I might not be doing much, but it’s the absolutely best that I can do under the circumstances. There is no room for trying harder and doing more. So there is no room for guilt.

I was hoping to write a different kind of post today… something like ‘Grateful for the end of morning sickness”. Well, it didn’t happen. At least I can be grateful for all these wonderful insights that morning sickness has given me.

What are you grateful for this week?

32 Responses to Grateful for morning sickness
  1. Kylie @ Octavia and Vicky
    April 27, 2012 | 9:10 pm

Congrats! Sorry it’s been a rough road for you but you have definitely found the silver lining.
    Kylie @ Octavia and Vicky recently posted..Oh, The Places You’ll Go

2. Debbie @ Aspiring Mum
    April 27, 2012 | 9:20 pm

Congratulations! I love how you’ve made this hard time into something you can be grateful about. I remember those days all too well – and I really think it’s the only time I couldn’t give any more because I was too sick and too tired. All the best – rest when you can and I hope that the sickness eases up soon.x
    Debbie @ Aspiring Mum recently posted..Playing With Abandon.

3. Deb @ Home life simplified
    April 27, 2012 | 9:43 pm

Congratulations!
    What a beautiful post in spite of the sickness – i remember passing out in the middle of reading to my 1yo daughter as exhaustion was my “morning sickness” – 1st and 3rd trimester i could fall asleep in the middle of speaking (scary) – she would patiently wait and i would wake to find her still sat next to me (i was laying down). you are doing fantastic and I am glad to read you will be putting your self care 1st! xx
    Deb @ Home life simplified recently posted..Grateful for being too tired to write

4. Zelde
    April 27, 2012 | 10:10 pm

Congratulations! Not for the morning sickness of course but for the new baby :)
    Zelde recently posted..A pocket library

5. Kellie @ Three Li'l Princesses
    April 27, 2012 | 10:26 pm

Oh congratulations, Tat. That is awesome news.
    Not the sickness bit, of course. Although, with both girls I always tried to tell myself it was a sign of a healthy baby. Anything to get me through it.
    You know my sickness surrounding Ella. Holly was pretty severe. I was bedridden, on medication and was forced to stop work for three months (thanking goodness for a supportive boss!). Ella managed to do lots of craft, play doh etc to keep herself occupied.
    I think it eventually subsided around the 4-5 month mark, but lingered a little for much of the pregnancy. I swore I would never go through it again!!
    I tried all the remedies. You know, the usual stuff. For me, it ended up being Minties that helped ease the sick feeling. But, of course, it’s only ever temporary. Hopefully you have your “thing” that helps.
    PS. You so need to read my ebook. Will be sending you a copy! x
    Kellie @ Three Li’l Princesses recently posted..Taking one for the team

April 28, 2012 | 8:41 am

Thanks, Kel. I thought I wanted 4 children, but after the last few months… I don’t think I’d want to put myself and my family through it again. Although knowing me, I’ll probably forget all about the morning sickness about 2 weeks after it’s gone and I’ll start telling everyone what a wonderful pregnancy I’m having. My husband will never agree to a fourth child anyway…

6. Elisa
    April 27, 2012 | 10:29 pm

Congratulations!! I love this post. I love your news, but also love that you found something beautiful in morning sickness. Thank you for sharing! And if it helps, morning sickness disappeared at week 17 with baby #1 for me! Wishing you a restful weekend xx
    Elisa recently posted..For me to sleep, I need you

April 28, 2012 | 8:42 am

Thanks, you give me hope!

7. Veronica @ Mixed Gems
    April 27, 2012 | 10:33 pm

Sorry to hear the morning sickness is still lingering. Taking it as an opportunity for a new perspective is something worth doing about many things in life – I feel this way right now about my job. Looking out for yes of first does make sense and it is great y children are not too little that you’d feel pressured to have to be more there for them. Hoping it I’ll pass for you, but hoping you find a way to make the most of things if it doesn’t. Take care.
    Veronica @ Mixed Gems recently posted..Cognitive Dissonance Four Weeks on

8. Maxabella
    April 27, 2012 | 10:51 pm

Sorry to hear about the MS but… Tat! How wonderful! You’re pregnant! Yipppeeeee! We get to happily follow your progress too. And your insights are brilliant! x
    Maxabella recently posted..52 Weeks of Grateful: Bedtime

9. Manana Mama
    April 28, 2012 | 12:32 am

Congratulations! That’s wonderful news, but I’m so sorry about the morning sickness part – you have my deepest sympathies and commiserations in that regard. Hope you are feeling better soon, and what a special time for your two eldest children to witness :)

10. Caz (The Truth About Mummy)
    April 28, 2012 | 7:12 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Not on the morning sickness thou :) Just reading your post put me right back there in that. Yikes – can’t say I miss that at all. Still – let’s hope it passes for you soon. I’ve heard around 16 weeks can be magical for some women. Again – congratulations on your wonderful new :)
    Caz (The Truth About Mummy) recently posted..Where do you get your parenting energy from?

11. Joy
    April 28, 2012 | 8:40 am

Congrats!!!!!!! How amazing! I hope some day to be able to experience pregnancy again. Enjoy every moment and treasure them! So happy for you!!!!

Warmest regards,
    Joy
    Joy recently posted..Extended Breastfeeding and the Dis-approving Looks

April 30, 2012 | 1:05 pm

I hope your next pregnancy comes much easier for you.

12. Lipgloss Mumma
    April 28, 2012 | 12:20 pm

Congratulations! And I love that you have put a positive spin on it all. Grateful indeed. x
    Lipgloss Mumma recently posted..Grateful for… a solo breakfast

13. Trish
    April 28, 2012 | 1:43 pm

I hope you get some relief soon and congratulations -
    so excited for you.
    Trish recently posted..Grateful for Battery operated Toys …

14. Happylan
    April 28, 2012 | 5:26 pm

Congratulations Tat!
    My morning sickness went away around wk 16 in my 2nd pregnancy – so there is hope yet!
    Such exciting news.
    Happylan recently posted..Re-igniting Cinema Love

15. Claudia
    April 28, 2012 | 7:53 pm

Such an exciting time for you all….hoping morning sickness passes quickly and you can enjoy what a special time this is. Congratulations x
    Claudia recently posted..Making me smile this week……

16. Hotly Spiced
    April 28, 2012 | 10:47 pm

I’m so sorry for hear that. I have three children and didn’t actually suffer from morning sickness in any major way. I did have occasional bouts of throwing up and that feeling like you have that terrible taste in your mouth and you want to eat something but you don’t know what and all that sort of thing but I can’t complain as I know I was so much better off than most other woman. I hope it eases off for you soon – hopefully by 16 weeks it will all be over and you’ll be into that wonderful ‘honeymoon’ phase of the pregnancy – the second trimester xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Unaccompanied Minors

17. Vanessa
    April 28, 2012 | 11:21 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy! Feel better and take good care of yourself. :)

18. Seana Smith
    April 29, 2012 | 7:19 am

Hope that it eases eventually. Good to see the postives in it. Especially independence, I really think it is a great gift for the kids, invaluable.

Many congratulations on your pregnancy and here’s to the sickness going away!
    Seana Smith recently posted..Simple Family Food Advice – From Fast Ed

19. Mum of Adult Kids
    April 29, 2012 | 12:11 pm

Oh yay! Congrats on the upcoming new addition to your little family. Even morning sickness will pass… eventually!
    Mum of Adult Kids recently posted..Grateful for Books (the fiction kind)

20. The Pepperrific Life
    April 29, 2012 | 1:31 pm

Wow, congrats! I’m a bit envious, I must admit :)
    That’s really a lot to be grateful for. Morning sickness is hard, but you’ll make it through :) Take care!
    The Pepperrific Life recently posted..On a Magic Carpet Ride: A Whole New World of Carpet Cleaning

21. Lauren @ Hobo Mama
    April 29, 2012 | 5:25 pm

Congratulations! I love to hear of your kids’ care of you — so touching.

I’ve been having the same revelation lately, that a crisis can really pull things into perspective. Fortunately, I’ve had the revelation without the crisis (for now). Hope things get easier on you soon!

22. Carrie @ Hazardous Design
    April 30, 2012 | 8:41 am

CONGRATULATIONS! Despite the morning sickness, this is fantastic news. Feel better!
    Carrie @ Hazardous Design recently posted..Dear Chris,

23. Phoebe Valencia
    April 30, 2012 | 6:39 pm

Good point about taking care of yourself first. Congrats for your new baby and I hope he or she’ll be out healthy. :)
    Phoebe Valencia recently posted..Client Services Project Coordinator

24. Becky from BeckyandJames.com
    May 2, 2012 | 9:46 pm

Congratulations! Morning sickness is horrid. I hope you start feeling better very soon!
    Becky from BeckyandJames.com recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Becky and James Do Costco

25. Camille
    May 4, 2012 | 3:36 pm

Congrats, I hope you feel better soon! I’m on the same boat right now and my 3 year old has been really mature about it. She knows there’s a baby in my belly and she’s more gentle, plus she has even told me to rest and stays quiet so I can! I guess you’re right and I should focus on that and the other good things that have come out of it, because I’ve been feeling pretty sorry for myself.

May 4, 2012 | 4:01 pm

It’s very hard not to feel sorry for yourself when you are so miserable, no matter how hard you try to focus on the positives. I hope it gets better for you soon. Your daughter is so sweet!

• Camille
        May 11, 2012 | 9:37 am

Thanks:) I think my regimen of eating a lot of beans and wearing motion sickness wrist bands is helping. I’m beginning to realize how lucky I was not to have morning sickness with my daughter hahah!
        Camille recently posted.."Extreme" Mother on Time Magazine Cover

26. T Rex Mom
    May 11, 2012 | 2:41 pm

I am grateful for your morning sickness – in my experience it generally means a healthy pregnancy. So happy for your great news.

I do hope you feel better soon. Although, I sadly have to say that I had morning sickness for the entire pregnancy with my daughter. However, it instantly went away after childbirth. And now, when I do get a GI bug or something that makes me nauseous, it really does not phase me much. Wish you all the best, Tat. Congratulations.
    T Rex Mom recently posted..Graduation…